Adventure in the woods, tons of stories, some sneaking.

My dad invited me to a concert at the college today, but I blew it off because I had the urge to see the woods again.

Went out to a spot I visited a couple times last summer. Was there in late June (just as summer started). That time was real fun. Took the shoes off. Walked in the shale bottomed Black River*. Tried to catch fish with my hands, learned how to walk quietly through the river. All the while, this big buck was watching me on the other side of the river. I walked over there and saw him lounging in the shade.

Next time, I took Derek out there in late August. The mosquitoes were so bad, I couldn't stand it. Derek and I cut through the woods and came up a hill and out by the highway.

Today, the plants had mostly died back, except for the smallest ground covers: ivys, money wort, mustards, etc. I collected plants here and there. Got some of that money wort, stinging nettle, some mint, wood strawberries and dogbane.

I also saw lots of a herron. It would fly onto a branch and sit there. Then, when I'd move or rustle a leaf, it'd fly off in a big circle and return in a few minutes. It reminded me of an adventure I had once that I wrote a song about:

I called off sick from work today and went out to the woods
After a long day of dealing with my car.
I was feeling rather tired so I stopped to take a nap.
I fell asleep upon a sandbar.
When I awoke a herron was standing over me.

Actually, it was two herrons. One flew away as soon as I sat up. That got me so excited that a herron was only a few feet away from me. As I moved around some more - to my absolute amazement - another herron flew away. It was standing right in front of my face, but I didn't even see it!

I also snuck up to this construction project. The metro parks are expanding and building more trail. As I was just entering the site, I saw some people out there, so I hid myself. Two adults in brown coats and a child in an orange one. They walked off down the trail. I followed a few minutes later (after playing on an under-construction bridge). I saw the trio rounding a corner way ahead of me and walking back. I ducked behind a large piece of machinery.

I calmed myself as they approached. The last time I tried to elude detection like this backfired hardcore on me. I was out back behind the co-op sneaking when I heard the neighbors coming out of their house and walking my way. I got behind a dumpster and tried to move around it as they past, but I was right on some noisy leaves. One of the guys spotted me trying to move and called me out on it:

"Hey! I see you. You can come out. Don't be afraid we won't hurt you." He was drunk. "What are you doing?"

"Practicing."

"Practicing what?"

"Sneaking."

I tried to sound as much like Gollum as I possibly could. He didn't appreciate that much, but I told him to shove it because I lived right there, too. I got the right to sneak around my house if I want.

Anyways, right as these three were walking by the one closest to me looks over in my direction. I see him as I'm peaking through the machine. I'm not sure if he saw me. He didn't act like he did. As they past I jumped out to watch them walk away. A mother, father and child. Sneaking through a construction project just like me. Maybe he really did see me peaking, but just thought it was easier to ignore me than to scare his youngin' by calling out this strange man crouched down behind the machine. Maybe he saw me but didn't want to believe he really did. Maybe I'm becoming a better sneak.

Well, I'm just wondering where all the kids are in this city!! Where do I go to meet the peeps, talk to girls! ... I should tell you all about some of my dreams. Stay tuned.

*11/19/07: not the Black River, but French Creek, which joins the Black River right before it flows into Lake Erie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!