Lost and Found.

I have neglected to recount on this blog the Adventure of the Impounded Poncho. I have neglected it for the adventure was not completed until this past afternoon.

Nearly one month ago, I made a camp in the Wayne National Forest to celebrate the Equinox. I built a lean-to from pine boughs and covered it with a poncho. Though I left the woods, I left my camp and continued to return to visit it. I left a note in the lean-to foretelling my return, and I signed it with my initials.

The camp was located within the Burr Oak Cove Campground, owned and operated by the Wayne National Forest. This site was suggested to my by forest rangers. They informed me that camping was free on the grounds when water was shut off at the grounds (which it was until April 14). They also gave me paper documents with the same information.

So, I was surprised when I returned to the camp one day to find the poncho gone and the lean-to scattered about the forest floor. Tied to a pine tree was a note from Ranger Joe: "Mr. CT, your poncho has been impounded." Joe also left a phone number where I did reach him the next day.

In honesty, I was not too upset by Joe's actions. He took care to treat my property with respect and to properly return the lean-to to the forest. Our conversation was pleasant until he told me of a $50.00 fine plus $20.00 fee associated with recovering my property. That ticked me off.

"To be honest with you, Joe," I said, "that poncho is not worth $70.00." (In fact, it would cost about $20.00 to replace.) "I'll get back in touch with you when I feel like paying the money."

With that our conversation did end, but, of course, the story does not. I went back to the campground to look for a closed sign on the grounds (which Joe insisted was present but actually is not). I also researched the website where it is posted: "Once water is no longer available, camping is free of charge." Rest assured, water was not available in the grounds when I did camp.

I informed Joe of this some time later, and eventually he consented that the information available did not prohibit my campsite. In return, he says that whenever the gate is closed on a campground, the campground is closed. Wayne National Forest is in the process of updating their information to match that policy. I retrieved my poncho today.

In other news, I have lost two field guides in the woods of Strouds Run State Park. Whilst hiking on Sunday, I grew weary of carrying the books and set them upon a fallen pine tree. When I returned from my hike, I was unable to find the books. I believe that they are still in the forest somewhere. Yesterday I did look again for them, but found no books. With luck, I will find them before it rains again.

I am not worried for my things tend to come back to me. Oft times have I lost my hat - sometimes for weeks - but always has it returned, though sometimes only with great effort on my part. So, I continue to look for Peterson's Field Guides to Wild Edibles and Wildflowers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!