I also found two yellow flowers.

My Easter weekend was actually not pleasant. I ate very much sugar (think: chocolate covered oreos) and slept away much time. Wonderful things did happen, though. I performed at Donkey on Friday night to a small but attentive crowd. I went to the Farmers Market on Saturday to play guitar and sing to a bitter cold wind. I saw friends and they sang along with me. A passerby tipped me with a ball of delicious, oregano goat cheese.

Still, I felt as if my head was swimming in a sleepy sugar sea yesterday as I left work. So, after a brief stop at my home to pick-up supplies and shop at the grocery store, I went to the woods of Strouds Run State Park.

I wound my way back into a hollow with a flat, floodplain bottom. As I followed the creek back (southwest) and up, the landscape became chocked with honeysuckle (a non-native plant that takes the form of a vine and a bush) forcing me west of the creek and up the hillside where I saw an opossum briefly before he quietly stole away. The honeysuckle was to my front (west) as I tried to ascend to a path I knew lay near the ridge. I took some time discovering a game trail that led to the path.

As I wandered along the hillside, I heard many a rustle down amongst the leaves. The honeysuckle prevented my eyes from discovering it source -actually there were many sources - but I could tell it was a large creature (larger than the birds who rummage with vigor). What surprised me more than the large amount of noise those unseen creatures made was the amount of noise they accepted from me. I was quiet by no means, and they seemed to heed my noisy feet not at all.

As I found the path I also found the creatures making the curious noise. They were large birds, grouse, bobwhites or perhaps turkey, scratching away the leaves in search of food below (maybe insects). They spotted me and flew upwards forty feat to the ridge top. In the evening light, they were a deep brown or black. Across the hollow (looking east), the forest was tinged with orange.

Remember the lyrics I sang in the song "I Want A Girl." If you have trouble remembering, listen to the recording posted on this site.

Up on the hilltop, I saw pheasants in the trees.

Now, I believe those were not pheasants at all, rather were they the creatures I saw yesterday. My sister has given me a book by Stan Tekiela called Birds of Ohio, which informs me that pheasant do not generally live in Athens County, Ohio.

From the path, I watched the forest pass through evening. Again down by in the creek, I sat as twilight took its turn. Later that night, back in Athens, I met friends from my hometown, Lorain. The moon rises very late these days; night was dark and partly cloudy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!