What a strange taste in my mouth, and further updates on my survival skills.

From the boughs of a white pine - today - I made a tea. While drinking the tea, I began to notice a taste in my mouth: as if I were sucking on a metal pipe. It persists even now, seven hours later. The tea is high in vitamin C. Perhaps the taste is a side affect of a body saturated with C (for I drank the tea last night), though I have read it is also a symptom of cancer. At least I won't get scurvy.

Lately, I have been making cordage from fibrous plants. I have been using dog bane - a woody perennial with a reddish brown color. It grows to a height of two to four feet. This time of year the plant can be easily identified by the paired, dried seed pods which persist on the branches. The fiber is very strong for its width. It makes an excellent necklace cordage.

I took the deer (living near the Ridges) an apple this weekend. Some seemed comfortable with my presence, so much that one even pooped in my sight. This is an improvement (I think) since they normally just stare at me bobbing their heads, stomping their feet, flashing their tails, and snorting like a rusty, old bellow.

Finally, I went to a college party this weekend for two friends of mine (Buzz and Smirtle) were celebrating their 21st birthday. I had a great time. I drank wine from the bottle. Got stuck in the back of an overly crowded, upstairs bedroom. And, I lead a small sing-a-long featuring Dylan's "Tambourine Man" and Don McLean's "American Pie." For his birthday, I gave drunken Joe "Buzz" a whole Avalanche pizza and a piece of bark that I grew either on a birch tree or a cherry tree (or some other tree I do not yet suspect).

Comments

kathands said…
My only and most beloved son,your poor old mother would like to hear from you.Rosalie is going to be in the Middle School Junior National Honor Society and it would be nice if you called her.
Love,your poor old mom

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!