Global warming this October in Athens: it feels like Puerto Rico already!

I think that this eerily late, Indian summer has finally loosed its hold on October. Daytime temperatures will no longer peak in the upper eighties, and nights will be cold enough that more than a good sweater will be necessary to keep me warm. The trees have been crawling through their color change for a few weeks now. I remember back in the forests near Ironton the paw paws and spicebush, tulip poplars, sycamores and a few scattered sugar maples had begun to dawn their respective yellows, reds, browns and oranges. Back then it'd gotten down to the thirties on a couple nights, but until last night the heat and humidity was like August's in its discomfort.

Of course, I wasn't outside last night to appreciate the cold. I spent the night on the basement futon at the co-op. After a night at Jackie O's playing banjo at the Celtic jam (and drinking for free because of it), and the symphony orchestra concert before that, and a few episodes of Aqua Teen after the bar, I was tired enough that the walk to my bike and the ride up to the hill seemed like a bad deal considering I was already on a warm bed. But, even though I was in doors and under a blanket, I still felt the fingers of a cold wind poke at me through drafty walls and windows.

I've joked that global warming is the culprit behind the heat wave, but a friend tells me different. I met Greg at Casa months ago. I was reading a book about medicinal plants. He noticed and commented about his knowledge of plants and their uses. Although we have twenty-some years difference in age, we both cherish the woods about Athens.

Monday at Jackie O's, Greg told me his take on the unusual weather: global axis shift. I didn't inquire too deeply with him, but I did Google the subject yesterday. The idea runs like this: the earth's crust has moved around the molten inner cores of the planet so that Athens, OH today is about thirteen degrees south of Athens in the past. That is to say, we've moved south to a position on par with the Carolinas (and the Carolinas have moved south proportionally). Greg didn't suggest a cause, but there are many purported on the web: polar ice build-up, asteroid impact and close proximity to a large, extra terrestrial object like a planet or comet.

Do I buy it? I don't think so. Global warming is a less jagged pill to swallow. At least in that scenario it's an act of man that causes whatever destruction. Acts of God just aren't covered in insurance.

I said goodbye to the trees yesterday - or, goodnight really. They'll be getting to sleep for the winter. I'll be getting to Puerto Rico. My time is drawing near to leave for Lorain. Then, to PR with my Grandpa. I miss Athens already. I hope I'm back before long.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!