More about last week and a little about today.

Well, last Friday I spent about all day trying to fix a flat tire and getting no where, both literally and figuratively. I found the hole easy enough, but the darn thing kept blowing off the patch, and then only after I'd put it on the tire and inflated it up. Figures. Don't buy a glue-less patch kit from Wal-Mart. In fact, if you're looking for anything of quality, stay away from that store.

Anyway, I also worked on my shelter. I selected a spot that was halfway between the boat dock and the Oak Hill camp ground. Technically, I shouldn't have been camping there because one isn't allowed to set up primitave camps in that area (you have to walk about a couple miles out on the lakeshore trail), but I said, "I'd bet that there ain't no rangers gonna walk that path." And, I was right. I didn't even see anyone else on that path.

Well, I got my camp set up and that was heartening, but that bike tire sure did make me sour. I was stomping through the woods grumbling, cursing at the flies, cursing at the twigs that got in my way. I was angry. But, I had Sunday to look forward to because Sunday my Pops was coming for a visit. So, I sure did look forward to that.

I was out of my camp till just after dusk. I spent the evening walking on the boardwalk that spans Lake Vesuvius from the boat dock to the dam. And I said to myself, "I'd like to walk back to camp in the dark." And I did. And when I got back there, I built up a real nice teepee fire and sat and chilled for a bit before I headed into my shelter.

My shelter was pretty roomie. I had plenty of room to toss and turn and fit all my stuff inside plus a few faggots of wood if the weather turned bad. And I even found a sleeping bag right outside the Ranger Station that someone'd discarded probably because of a few tears in it. Well, I snatched it up on Friday and used it ever since. I've even got it with me right now, and I'm done with the Wayne.

That's right. I've got a birthday on Tuesday and I'd like to be back to Athens to celebrate. So, I broke camp and packed up today, and I plan to ride today and tomorrow. I've got about 15 miles yet tonight before I get to Rio Grande, OH. I've heard there's a little motel across the street from a Bob Evan's on Highway 35.

So, I woke up this morning in Ryan's trailer. He went home this past weekend and told me he'd be back on Sunday night. So, I thought I'd meet him when he got back. But by 9:30 Ryan was no wher to be found, so I fell asleep. I woke up at midnight and said, "That boy ain't comin' back tonight." And he didn't. I was awoken by rangers outside the trailer at the break of dawn today. And I said, "Great. Well, now I've got to sneak out of here because I don't want the rangers to see me here (because I'm really not allowed back at his trailer even though I slept there before)."

So, I slept a bit more and snuck out about 10:30 AM. And I went back to camp and gathered up some of my stuff, put it in my bookbag, and biked over to the post office in Pedro, OH. And I put it in a box and mailed it back to Athens so I didn't have to carry it. Then I went back, packed up the rest of my stuff, tore down my shelter and hit the road.

Well, I've gone about 30 miles north on 93 and now I'm in Oak Hill (the 'Welsh city') in Jackson County. I stopped at T & J's Dairy Bar for a TJ Burger (it's like a big mac without onion) and a milk shake. And the woman working there said howdy and gave me some directions to Rio Grande. So, I was set to head out of town on 279 when I saw a library. And I said, "Well, I sure need some time to digest that burger and shake, and it'd do me some good to get a bit more of this trip off my chest (and onto my blog)." So here I'm typing away.

And it seems that I've got a couple of time lines going. We're somewhere near Saturday of last week, and right here in the present as well. I'll try to keep it all straight. I've had a mind to grab a mug in Rio Grande tonight and check out the Rio Grande College, but I'm so pooped I may just fall right asleep instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!