Coming to you live from the 'French City'

Delays, delays. It turns out that my journey did not begin until just yesterday. I had widdled away my time last week playing a video game, God of War, and by the time I's ready to do some business the businesses were closed! And they didn't open again until Tuesday (on account of the holiday). So, I waited patiently in Athens until Tuesday came. Then, after a fast-paced morning of business, I got on the road.

I'm riding a new bike and carrying gear on my back headed still for the Wayne National Forest, Ironton District. My friend Ryan is there waiting for me now.

Boy, I'll tell you, those first ten miles out of Athens were killer. I felt overwhellmed: "What kind of hair-brained plan is this? How do I expect to make it all that way with this pack?" But, I kept going. When I finally left Athens County for Meigs, I stopped at a small grocery to refill my water bottles. But, the woman attendant informed me, "No plumbing." Fortunately, there was another man in the store who'd just filled up his water tank in Albany and graciously offered me a bottle full.

I made it to Rutland by four (left Athens at about noon) and stopped at Fox's Pizza Den where I ate a steak weggie (an original sandwich) and an order of onion rings, and I drank a fountain pop. Then I hit the road again and made it about ten more miles to Cheshire (pronounced Ches-sure). There was a big nuclear powerplant right by the park I stopped at and the Ohio River flowed in front of my eyes. I made it to the Ohio and I stopped there the night.

I slept in the park and it got cold! Down to the 60's. At some point (when I was still in fit-full sleep) I saw a wild thing pop out of the brush by the river and into the park's light. It was large (it reminded me of a sloth) and it seemed to be a golden color. It was in the light for a while looking around, then it slunk back into the shadows and was gone. I keep thinking, "That was a strange thing. Was it real?"

I dreamed my friends and I were running around the park.

I awoke a fixed a breakfast on a park grill. Peppers, tomaters, garlic and nettle. Then onto Gallipolis. I'm at the library right now.

Gallipolis was originally a French settlement. From what I read, French immigrants were swindled into buying land in the area. When they came to claim it, they discovered it was actually owned by another land company. Many stayed anyways and paid for the land again.

I might be able to make the Forest today if I ride hard. Seems to be about 50 miles left.

Tell my parents I'm doing fine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!