'H' is for 'hairy' man in the woods.

So, this past weekend I went up to Knox County, Ohio to get in some real 'dirt time.' Like honing my survival skills and stuff. I was learning about fire. We split cedar. Then, we used hot coals to burn the curve of a bowl in the wood. It is now a cedar bowl. I even ate cereal out of it today.

Then, I went with my friend, Travis, to visit his family, mothers and fathers. I may have even met a niece. Those were wonderful visits! Gordy and Cindy were gracious hosts. Interesting people, too. And, they fed me well, which is worth a mention, and maybe more.

I also made a bow-drill set from cedar. I've practiced it with more persistance than luck - if you see where I'm going. No coal yet. But, so much more sweet will it be when my luck pays off. And, why should I have to wait? Surely, if I desire fire to burst from my fireboard, by faith would it happen.

After three days in the woods, sleeping with only a few blankets and a poncho, I think that I may buy a sleeping bag. Those things are more efficient than blankets at retaining body heat. Even as I told this to Chris, my housemate, he told me of the bag he found earlier this summer. In our basement, no less. Rated to fifteen 'F-in' degrees.

Then, Tracy stopped by from Berkley, CA. That's, California if you're not up to speed on postal abreviations. I traded tea for honey. "If you ask me, that's a good trade." That's what I said to her. She lived at this house many years ago. On her way to DC, she and her dog, Gaia, payed us a visit (Zach, Chris and I).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!