Home again. Home again. Rig-a-jig-jig.

I have made it back home .... "home" .... to Athens. Walked into the co-op unannounced on Sunday afternoon after a rousing morning of hitchhiking from the Columbus area. People were surprised. Last they'd heard, I'd be heading out to California to visit with a friend. I was supposed to ride out there with a friend, Rose, but we both decided against it. So, I high tailed it for home.... "home."

Lord, it feels rather strange to be back. I'm busy searching for a job right now. No place seems to be hiring - that seems to be the trend these times. I searched in Puerto Rico and came up short. And, then on my way back north from Orlando, I stopped in Atlanta a few days. I was walking back to the hostel late in the afternoon when I noticed a help wanted sign on a restaurant I's passing. I went in and filled out the application and took a test. The first part had lots of math. It reminded me of my high school days when I absolutely loved math class. Seriously. I spent all weekend working on bonus problems, and then dressed up on Monday so I could present my answers to the class. Like a professional. Despite the nostalgia of math classes past, I found myself stressed by the calculations. My brain hasn't worked like that in quite a while.

The next part tested my personality. It made me feel much better. Answering "strongly agree" to the statement "Having a happy life is an attainable goal" is very uplifting. They asked me to come back the next day for an interview, but I blew it off for a date with the Greyhound.

I believe that in one of the lesser circles of hell, Satan tortures hapless souls by making them ride the Greyhound for all eternity. At least in my little hell. Though I did meet some interesting people. A black girl from Washington state sat next to me out of Atlanta. She told me about "Magic City," the famous strip club right across the street from Greyhound where all the famous rappers went when they came to town. "Huh, never noticed that place," I said. She told me about "the Orange," a derivation of the New Year's ball drop in Times Square. "They didn't even count down or anything," she said. She also told me I have nice eyes (it's a compliment I receive often). "Oh man, that's nice," I told her. "'Oh man that's nice?'," she replied and smiled. Left her in Nashville, TN.

Last night, I went to Casa and jammed out some bluegrass with about ten other players. It was so sweet. My favorite was a song called "Black-eyed Susan." It reminded me of my time in Ironton picking the flowers with Wayne Natl. Forest volunteers. Made me feel like I was home again.

Lord, I'm feeling so much stuff right now! Hope that my life settles down soon and for a bit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!