Flew into orlando, hitch hiked to Jacksonville. the first guy that picked me up is named paul, a korean war vet - a machine gunner. told me that his machine gun would cut people in half. once, his unit was backed up against a rising cliff with the chinease marines attacking. he said those marines would tape-up their torsos so that the machine gun couldn't rip them apart. "it gave them three extra steps," he said. "that's scary." he was saved in korea, is a presbeterian. he kindly took me all the way from orlando to daytona beach and left me at a gas station near the highway.

soon, i got back on the on-ramp and stuck out my thumb again. tell you what, you can tell who's not gonna pick you up by the kind of car they're driving. if it's a nice car, they're not gonna stop. well, i got passed by by some real nice cars and i began to think i was on the wrong ramp. then this janky old van rolls up and i knew he was gonna stop. mark used to follow the dead around all over the continent. bought his van for $60 and is saving for a new alternator so he can head to vegas to find work. "i'm gonna help you out," he said. gave me a ride all the way to jacksonville. told me not to hitchhike up i-95 cause it goes through the boondocks.

stayed that night with my aunt who lives outside the city. played the evening and the next morning away with my seven and thirteen year-old cousins, tyler and alex. aunt di dropped me off at the greyhound. bought a ticket to atlanta later that night. lay over in savahna, GA. when i got in at 1 a.m. i said, "i'm done with this bus." left the station and checked into a hotel. still got my ticket to atlanta, prob gonna head there in a few hours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!