"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately..."

Have a happy St. Patrick's Day. In honor of him, you will find a new song on the podcast: a traditional Irish tune called "Whiskey in the Jar."

Though it is spring (not officially for a few more days), today the air is cold like it was in winter.

I believe that many people fear the cold. I often fear it. But, I see no reason to entertain fears. The cold is bitter when I fear it. When I do not, the cold simply is.

I am again reading Walden, an account of Thoreau's time at Walden Pond in Massachusets. 'Twas last spring that I read it, soaking up sunshine on a small hill outside of the library, talking with my friend in the backyard of our house. This copy is one hundred and eight years old - it was published in 1899 - that is an old book. Still, that is 45 years after Thoreau published his manuscript and 52 years after Thoreau concluded his experiment "to front only the essential facts of life."

Going to the woods is an old idea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Iceland Day 4 - "Puffin' Up" or "Ditch the Van!"