Honk the horn, blast the radio, shoot your pistol: This is America and I'm a cowboy!

I spent a good deal of my weekend stalking around the backyards of houses looking for evidence of fauna, and I've discovered that fauna is pretty common. The reason we often don't see it is noise. We have become acustomed to a producing much noise: stomping the feet, talking on the cell phone, reving the car, jamming on the I-pod. After a little time in the woods I notice how noisy am I.

So, I've been walking quietly, and Friday night, while quietly walking home I had myself an amazing encounter. I ducked between two houses as I approached my home and soon stood in front of an open shed. I thought, "A wild animal might find that shed a comforable place to live." I began to walk past the shed when I noticed a wild animal walking straight at me! It was an opossum.

[Let us note the difference between the opossum and the possum, the former living in the eastern US and the latter living in Australia. You must take care to call each animal by its proper name (avoiding the term "possum" for the opossum) so as to be clear of which animal you speak.]

That opossum walked straight at me and I did not know what to do. I took its boldness as a sign of aggression. I stepped back and watched as it went by me and into the shed. I thought, "Perhaps it was bold because its young were in the shed." However, that is not likely because the opossum is a marsupial, birthing its young in an under-developed state and carrying it in a pouch until it has reached maturity.

I also chased rabbits during the day and night.

I related this story to both the crowds for which I performed (at Donkey and the Union). People loved it. As I spoke, they sat (or stood) very quiet and captivated. When I began to play, they began to talk! The shows went very well; I met lots of neat people. I'd like to play solo more often.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Iceland Day 4 - "Puffin' Up" or "Ditch the Van!"