In which is concluded our game and other events of much interest.

This past weekend, I visited a friend. Adam and I worked on deer hide. We fleshed the hide; we scraped lingering fat and meat from the "inside" of the hide. As we fleshed, we discussed Jesus and listened to Bob Marley. We prepared the hide for the rack by cutting one-inch slits in the skin, about an inch from each other and the edge of the hide. I will soon build a rack and string it up. Then, I will scrape more flesh from the hide and vigorously rub brain into it.

Last weekend I also thought: If I were the kind of man to be impressed by body smells, I would be impressed by my smells. Perhaps the following story will elaborate on this: I was, one day, on the toilet in a campus building doing my duty to GOD and this fair land. An unknown student walked in, smelled the raunchy air, and said, "Oh great. It's orangutan."

Most finally, I have posted the song of which you will find the lyrics in the post below this one. This post, then, concludes our game. I wonder how you envisioned the song to sound. Please tell me.

Comments

Joe Paxton said…
Hi Chris,

I read the lyrics when you first posted them, and I imagined that the music would err on the folksy side, but with a distinctly contemporary feel -- something like John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High." It was probably the imagery of nature (for example, the "ragin' blue sea") that brought that that kind of music to mind.

But then I read the lyrics again right before I listened to the song, and I was struck with a feeling that was more like a modern church hymn. The closet things I can think of that it popular is something like Rufus Wainwright's "Hallelujah."

Then I listened to the song. Somehow, you managaged to combine the "down home" folksy sound with a hymn-like, reflective feel. I was pleasantly surprised, suffice it to say.

Thanks for letting me play along.

-Joe

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!