Memories of the Ridges

I went to the Ridges today and had an adventure.

[Here I will digress from my story in order that I may provide more information about what exactly is "the Ridges." The Ridges is a geographic area on the property of Ohio University. The most prominant feature of the Ridges - most would say - is the collection of buildings that were for a very long time an "insane" asylum - please excuse my uncooth language. If, however, you were to ask my opinion on the matter, I would say that the most prominant feature of the Ridges are the gigantic trees.]

I went to the Ridges today to pick crabapples. I have watched the crabapples since I last cooked with them. Some have been eaten by birds and some have not. I wonder why some have not. I picked these crabapples to cook up a Christmas gift.

Then, I took a walk. I walked by the gnarly shagbark hickory that lives on the hillside near the auditorium. I walked up the hill and by a most interesting sculture of a horse. I walked down the other side of the hill and prepared to build a fire. In fact, on my walk I had been picking up sticks and bark to burn.

I gathered more woody remnants and cleared an area. I have read today of the "teepee" method of fire building. I'd like to try this method, but I find it most difficult to arrange my sticks and such into the shape of a teepee. In the end, my fire was more a pile of sticks ontop of tinder and kindling. It burned despite its rough appearance.



I was fearful while it burned. I feared that the authorities would discover my fire and persecute me for building it, but this did not happen.

When my fire burned down, I walked out of the woods, back to my bike. I peddled myself home, and I felt warm and secure as I undressed in my room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!