Oak Island


We took a trip to Oak Island, NC a few weeks back with some UNC grad students and rented a beach house for a "writing retreat." I didn't have any writing to do, so I took a couple instruments and spent a lot of time at the beach. Benji and I sat for hours in the sun with a chilly breeze. He was quite patient and watchful and didn't mind my violin or tin whistle. I've been playing the violin for a couple years now (two in June). Even so, the instrument is tough and I find myself squeaking more than I'd like. I played "Marching Through Georgia" and thought about the triumphant march to Savannah by Gen. Sherman and his army. It's nice to play some northern songs. I find most of the tunes I am drawn to are Southern.

Susan and I hung out with the kids in the evenings. Dinner at the Thai restaurant, an impromptu recital, home brews, etc. Sunday I fiddled with a little birdie (I am told). Before we left, we grabbed lunch on the beach and broke into song together.


https://tomazicc.tumblr.com/post/158170790739/beach-weekend-oak-island

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!