Poppin' Off

How do a few hundred people hold off an approaching storm? I wondered on it at Duke Garden's summer music series as the band began to play. We were off in the back and to the side (almost in the lily pond) with a blanket spread and a picnic basket of food and drinks. Down in the front, someone was blowing bubbles, and one got caught in the ominous breeze. It drifted upwards, soon rising above the stage.

What a fragile little thing it is, I thought, gone in an instant. And soon it was. I found myself looking at empty sky before I even realized it had disappeared. I'm like that bubble, you know, floating around for an immeasurably short amount of time, popping, then being a diffuse smear of particles in the cosmic sky. However, physics tells us that the laws of the universe can run in both directions, to the future and also to the past. If I could only sit there long enough, I'd see that bubble pop back into existence. The thought gives a measure of hope to my life.

So, how do hundreds of people hold off the coming rain? Well, they don't!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!