A Beautiful Quantum Fluctuation

We took a long weekend to go back to Asheville and relive a trip we took some two years ago. Along the way, the wild flowers on the highway impressed me: pale yellow, burnished gold, IPA orange, sunset. 

I think that I really am quite small and insignificant. I consider the expanses of space-time and the great masses and speeds out there. But then, I hear the voice of Carl Sagan from beyond the grave, and he says, "You're not insignificant. You're rare." Perhaps, I'm a beautiful quantum fluctuation, a pin prick of light, born of the vacuum, destined to annihilate. 

Someday the energy of the universe will be so diluted across space that I will be indistinguishable from the vacuum's own energy. I will be - in some sense, I already am - the low hum of background radiation. 

For now, I'm surfing a gravity wave over the mountains traveling back in time two years and beyond. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!