That Ohio Feeling

I heard about the passing of family friend last week. I met Lon years ago on a detour while my Father drove me back to college. I've always enjoyed watching my father interact with his friends, and Lon was a nice enough man in his own right. These jaunts to meet him were really rather peaceful.

I was sad to hear the news. He seemed sincere, and my father was close to him. It reminded me of this old post, which I drafted, but never published. Here it is with a few revisions...

This past weekend, I made it back to Ohio for, Rosalie's, my younger sister, graduation from high school. My older sister, Jessica, was also at home, having been discharged from the Army just about a month back. I flew into Cleveland Friday night, and Saturday morning Jessica, my father, and I went to Loudonville, OH where Jessica was participating in a 100 mile mountain bike race through Mohican State Park.

At seven o'clock Dad and I saw Jessica off at the starting line, six hundred bikers shooting down the center of town. I watched as they sped past the old brick buildings, slowly climbed a hill, then made a left turn and disappeared from sight. We went ahead to their first aid stop at the 20 mile mark. The leaders of the race blew right through with little more than a wave to the crowd. As the pack came in, it was almost may lay. Mountain bikes were discarded in favor of watermellon, coke, and peanut butter sandwiches. Jessica was in good spirits, though I could tell she was just warming up. After a few minutes she was off, and we had four hours before we would see her again at aid stop number three.

We drove back to town, and went to the VA rest home where lives Lon Traxler, dad's high school buddy. He's shaky, and aged, worn down , I suppose, by a mental disposition, a tour in Vietnam. Though he has recessed inward since I last saw him, there are times when his eyes light up and I could glimpse a great depth of character.

We went for a walk to the pharmacy for a soda and water then sat on the corner of main street soaking up rays after a chilly morning. Across the street sits a five and dime, a literal five and dime, a living relic of times past, bucking against the tides of time in this sleepy Ohio town. Not much changes in towns like this faster than a tree can grow. At half past ten, we went back to the home for mail call, which we awaited on the porch, but the mail never came. Instead Dad and Lonny relived old times together. Lonny's speech is furtive. He mumbles names, great sports figures from his life, high school and college stars, memorable people. Dad elaborates, sometimes leaning over to me to fill in the details. The conversation was easy, but I was content with the large maple and the little ash moving in the breeze, the long stretches of silence, and my father at my side. Words are not needed between my father and I, especially when we have a brisk spring morning's breeze in Loudonville, Ohio.


...

Back at home, the buzz of a small packed house. Five people and five dogs. Enough sunlight to pull some weeds up front. What a lush spring! Lemon balm in full shade three feet tall. Comfrey to four feet. A garden full of tomatoes and squash. And the lavendar, transplants from Athens, survived the northern winter and full of fragrant blossoms. I cut them the next day as I showed Jessica plant after plant, giving her facts about care and uses of each. I like to give flowers to loved ones, and it made me happy to give them to her. We're not generally affectionate as a rule, only because our concern for each other is understood.

Graduation windy and sunny, cool not humid. Looking out from the bleachers to the trees in the distance, the leaves of the maples silvery green below and dark green above making a shimmering effect in the wind. A baby or two with us in the stands. Smiles, cheers, and hugs, and a lot more I can't remember!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!