Of late have I done wonderful things.

Of late have I done wonderful things. For example, let us consider my last weekend.

I went to Camp Wyandot near Clear Creek Metropark. I went to teach youth the way of the wood. I led a field class about wild edible plants. We ate dandelion greens - eventhough we had no hot sauce. We cooked sassafras tea, and it was delicious.

My students were all from a school in Columbus*. They reflected to me at another learning session - that session about nature observation and writing. "This weekend is the first time I've been away from the city," said one young woman.

The children (11th graders) called me "Nature Guy." I first learned this as we sat around the fire at night. The adults urged the children to positively reflect upon their days at camp. One student did thank me. I was very pleased to be respected and welcome.

I found myself surprised by frequency-of-meal at Camp Wyandot. Three meals a day plus an evening snack! To boot, the meals were high energy: grilled cheese for lunch; sphagetti for dinner; pancakes and sausage for breakfast; sloppy joes for lunch. The food invigorated me! I formed a nice layer of fat from that weekend. Now, the weather is cold, and I am happy to have my fat layer!

That night, after Campfire Reflection, I lay by the fire. The racoon who earlier had dug around in the trash can was back. I was still and he moved near me. I did not move and he moved closer - and then he bumped me, his nose to my bare foot! He must have known it was human-indeed by then, and he bumbled away. I did not hear him again.

And then they all packed up to leave. I was saddened by this for I had grown fond of them. I said goodbye, and then closed their cabins. Then I shot the old breaze with my colleagues. Then I came home.

Here I am today reflecting upon the wonderful things that befell me.


*I remember the term "Afrocentric" rather than "Africentric."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!