Work Compells A Visit to Indianapolis

I do volunteer for AmeriCorps*VISTA. As part of my service, I recently traveled to Indianapolis, Indiana for my "Continued Development Training," two days of pretty obvious information and free meals consisting mainly of maynoase, cheese and meat.

One evening, I did take a walk. From my hotel, I walked along a the city's canal to the Indiana State Museum. Then, I walked to the bar. Below is an excerpt from my journal.

11/13/06 7PM
From Indianapolis, IN:

I walked along the canal. The watter slunk along, bobbing slightly as it passed under highways, roads. The architecture of the Historical Center, the lights impressed me. Characterized by a clean, smooth transition between building, street, lamp, world, nature. Indianapollis [sic] makes a city look easy! I experienced the multimedia of the Medal of Honor Memorial: Green glass, names - which nearly made me cry - the voice of a storyteller over speakers, a photographer and her friend.

I [turned around and] walked towards the downtown. Look in the canal: algea and plants! Even life pervades, invades the stone and steel of city. How long until the fish return?

It is cold, but I am layered and warm!

The city - tall buildings, lighted against dark skies, ah-ha minorities at the red line bus stop - which, by the way, is free. The Statue Center [actually called Monument Circle] with figures of the pioneers who settled this prided land, larger than life - giants if they walked this fair land. Buggies and horses. Lights, glitter, the glamor of any city with none of the trash.

Now, I'm enjoying a beer - a delicious porter, malty - at the Rock Bottom Brewery. What's next? Pizza?

Perhaps my co-workers...


In fact, next was my co-workers. That is, after I had three more pints (bringing the total to 5). I made clear to all of my co-workers exactly how much I had to drink.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!