To be refreshed

I went out back behind work yesterday (building 11), into an area where the scrub woods, pines and young hardwoods, are bisected to open a wide shady space. The space has been un-neatly filled with various plant debris (clippings, dirt, defuncted annuals), probably by Cisco facilities. You can walk over the mounds of detritus to Lake Betz (the northern side). I walked there sloping from pine to grass to soggy ground, cattail muck, recurred bramble thorn, a trampled deer path. I stopped short when a noticed a patch of grey under a beech tree. I went down - yoga squat - close to mud, close to grass sweeps where something goes in and out of the lake, brown water but settled and clear, trying not to disturb the solemnity. After a few minutes, I bowed and humbly picked my way back through the brier as the heron watched.

That little natural jaunt sort-of changed me in a way that slowly washed off as I waded through the next day. We left North Carolina on I-77 north, and I felt like I saw the Blue Ridge Mountains for the first in a long time, through the naked trees, curving back behind the driver side window. The road banked right to draw up almost parallel to them, but off kilter a little, bound to intersect, and go up over the mountains. It was like a slow collision, two timelines, or two particles fusing. I imagined beautifully recursive spirals. 

We stopped in Wytheville, VA, at an outskirt Starbucks we first visited as young lovers, and continue to visit as we grow old together. I took Benji out a-walking while Susan and Adella cleaned up and got coffee. Across a big grassy field under - what? - cherry trees, sits a little drainage pond where flies bubble up in the slanting light, savoring the warmth of fall before winter sets in. It was the day before Solstice. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!