The Toast

I first conveived it driving home - a radio interview about something, the man talking about how the greatest joys in life are felt not at the destination, but on the journey to it. The statement resonated with me, and I quickly put together a brief flow of ideas: a journey, time and space, mortality, and end with a pop. The final toast was not recorded on paper nor in audio, but it went something like this ... 



"I think the greatest joys in life are found not in the destination, but in the journey to it. Susan, we've been through a lot to get us to this point and we've a long way yet to go. The universe is vastly bigger in time and space than we humans can imagine. However, I know we will be together forever. Here's to the journey." 

Next up, Chris Zdinak, whose toast was best-man perfection. About the beginning of our relationship, Chris recalled that he speculated whether it would end up in a marraige or a restraining order! I had a great laugh at that one, though I don't recall that many from the rest of the crowd. His toast was by far the longest, and had some delicious pauses for dramatic effect. Following Chris, was Susan's sister Katy and then my sister Jessica. Both were short and sweet, a little weepy (that's a good thing). 

 
 

To accompany the toasts, we had homebrew sparkling wine, made with the traditional Champagne method. It was brutally brut, and I mean dry. I'll discuss it in more detail in another post. After the toasts, I believe we went right into a very nice slide presentation put together by Molly's sister.

 

Finally (for this post), our first dance was Paul Simons, "I Do It For Your Love." Our second dance ... Boogie Shoes!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!