The jam

Sometime late in the evening (around 9 pm, I would think), Susan and I were whisked outside to the portico. As the doors were opened, our friends started a version of "Heart of Glass" dedicated to Susan. It has always been one of her favorite songs to request. We listened once through, then started singing!

After that song, I grabbed a spare guitar that Troy had brought and joined in the jam. I remember calling out and singing "Move It On Over" by Hank Williams and "Way Downtown" by Doc Watson. I couldn't remember all the words to the Hank tune, by my friend, Brad, pulled them up on his phone, and I drunkenly sang them out. Susan went inside and told the DJ that he should pack up and join us on the porch.

Gaelan did not have the drum set. He was banging on the cement. Girls on the fiddle. Sean squeezed a button box, and Troy held down the bass.

We played and drank. I hardly remember any of the songs. Not too long ago, a friend mentioned that I sane a Johnny Cash tun, which I do not remember! When it was all over (not sure why we quit - perhaps, someone called me away), I walked back inside. Lo, and behold, the auditorium as nearly bare. The lights were down and the tables were cleared. It was nearly 10:30 by that point.

I had a quick discussion with Molly about the cards and gifts before we piled into a shuttle bus. I had told the musicians that we'd go to the Cider House, but we ended up at Casa instead. My wife gave me instructions to buy two sheet pizzas from Goodfellas, and I did. They were the biggest. boxes. of pizza. ever. It was enough to feed the wedding party, plus a stranger or two.

I was in and out of Casa. Susan sat on the bench outside, bibbed and eating pizza. She'd pick up a piece, take a couple bites, then I'd take it out of her hand and finish it.

After a while sitting there, (a little after midnight) we began to wonder if the shuttle was coming back as Susan had requested. I began to doubt it, but indeed it did come. We piled in and headed back to the hotel, emptied our pockets of cash (as a tip for the driver), and headed inside, where Susan and I retired for the night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!