Little Creek and Booker Creek, swollen

I returned to my southern home - pelted all the way through North Carolina by rain, rain, and more rain - to a singular surprise. I expected some standing water, having seen it before in heavy rain, but here was more than one mystery to solve ...


In the first place, the water is terribly high - alarmingly high - and looking back upon the facts, I do assume that it was at an earlier time even higher. Secondly, that is no my car at the end of the drive! That car, in fact, belongs to some rental car company. That, I was told by the tow operator who picked it up late in the evening. I cannot say at what time the car was stuck. I took this picture at about 5 pm (on Sunday, June 30). The tower told me that all local tow companies had been called to tow cars from the University Mall earlier in the day. He then showed me the puddled water in this car's cabin.

NOAA reports that nearly five inches of rain fell from Sunday morning to Monday morning. Indeed, a Rubbermaid near the back porch was filled with nearly a foot of water, all falling since I had left on Thursday.








Most deliciously, this recording was taken from that evening. I crouched in the back yard beneath the spreading privet. A large truck chugged down the flooded street, smoke pouring from its exhaust pipes.


floodplain that is my backyard by christomazic

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!