The Bridge of Celery Field

You can barely see the limpkin perched on the rail (near the center of the picture).

Class on Tuesday drug on, like a slow turning wagon wheel on the long road West. The distance to a half past four was beyond reckoning, and my body felt stretched and twisted watching the clock tick slower, and slower, and s-l-o-w-e-r . . .

The instructor even kept us a few extra minutes! By five o'clock, though, I had arrived at the parking lot of Celery Field, an expanse of wetlands in Sarasota surrounding a large and out-of-place hill - perhaps a reclaimed landfill.

I waited my turn then dashed across the highway and began down a long wooden bridge that ended with a covered gazeebo out on the water. It wasn't long before a great blue heron swooped in front of me and landed at waters edge near the bridge. I watched it slowly stalk along the shore, pointing its neck and head out like a ballarina might point her toes, then step forward bringing its body underneath its head, curving its neck into an S shape. The heron moved closer and closer to the bridge, and as it slipped under, I softly walked down the bridge and began peering through the spaces between the floor planks hoping to catch a rare close-up.

As I was creeping along, a limpkin perched on the railing where I had been a minute before (see picture). It was small with brown with white spots. I watched him groom his feathers while other fowl flew above. The sun had begun to set now, and many birds were returning to roost. The limpkin let out a scream and suddenly I heard the bellowing of trumpets from three sandhill cranes flying low over the bridge. Far off in the sky, a flock of birds was heading inland. As I looked through the binoculars, I noticed their pink color and the distinctive silhouette of rosete spoonbills. Green heron in adult plumage flew out of the tall grass and landed in patches across the pond.

I began to suspect that my heron had snuck away from me, as I had walked the bridge a few times and did not spot it underneath. I jumped up onto a bench and leaned out over the railing. Our eyes met and widened, the heron and I, and I think both of us wanted to jump back in surprise. Well, he didn't wait long before disappearing under the bridge again. I heard great flaps and he shot out from under the bridge and landed in the distance.

I watched the a delicously orange sunset through Susan's binoculars. I wanted to drink it (the sunset, not the binoculars). The mosquitos began to buzz in my ears as the marsh became grey, so I pulled up my collar as I walked to the car. As I neared the land end of the bridge, I spotted my great blue heron in the distance still stalking the shoreline, barely more than a shadow in the darkness.

Perhaps I'll get up early on Friday, my last day down here, and visit the bridge as day breaks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!