Ambient Music

It's been a while since I've written. I've got about 3 or 4 half finished posts. So, I wanted to get something up today. 


This song by Brian Eno  struck me when I listened to it yesterday morning. Ambient music like this is exactly what I've been trying to create lately. You can hear it in my guitar playing: do-re-me-sol-la-do! A pentatonic scale has the sense of space and ambiguity that appeals to my ear. I find such pleasure in the call of a wood thrush deep in a lush forest; the sigh of a cotton wood in a warm breeze; the wash of white noise as I nod off to sleep. Music to me is more than just the aural quality. It also encompasses space and time. When I think about music, I step back and look at the place, I think of quality of space. Music should be a bit disarming, disorienting to follow too closely. I want to create something that you fall into. Undo the sense of beat in time. Let it wash out your mind. 

Anyways, here is a piece I made a few months back one evening. It's my ambient music. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!