Fat and Crabapples

I have been craving fat lately. I believe this to be the fault of the changing seasons. As summer melts into winter, as the days become short and cold, my body wants a blubbery buffer from the stiff breezes.

My cravings are acute, especially at night. I suppose about a time-tested formula to convert calories into fat: food followed by sleep.

A favorite snack of mine: toast with butter, topped with cinnamon and spread with honey.


... ... ...


In other food news, I have made crabapple spread. I spent a few hours of my Sunday afternoon hanging in crabapple trees, picking the delightfully tart, yellow-green fruits. [I did feel slightly uneasy doing this, only because the crabapple trees are part of the Ohio University campus (imagine the OUPD recieves a phone call from a concerned parent about a bearded man dangling in trees, terrifying children). ] I washed the crabapples and boiled them in cinnamon-sugury water. The crabapples soften as boiling progresses, making it easy work to mash their inards outward. After an hour or so of this, I ran the crabapple substance through a foodmill, which removed the skins and seeds. The leftover spread is very tart, but tastes delightful on the pan-fried chicken.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bummin' Around

I know this is a long post, but if you break it up into two or three sections, it's a pretty managable read.

Giddy Up!